Thursday, June 14, 2007

Loft conversion - Steels, UB not, PFC actually , RSJ's lifted and installed

Steel beams for the loft conversion


the big steel




shorter steel also showing the two wooden purlins




End view showing the section



Well what a relief when these where in, with no damage and no slip ups.

I would have photographed them going up but the technique was so far from a recognised safe method I don't think I would have been thanked for it.

They gave me a price and did the job and I'm not complaining. I did offer plan B but plan A worked. I'll not describe the method in detail for fear of it sounding like a recommendation but it involved a flatbed truck, a wobbly scaffold tower, the proper scaffolding, two ladders and some planks. Not forgetting some coordinated grunting and some extra strong tea before and after.
Once up there positioning, levels and bricking was easy.
The Steels are resting on class A engineering bricks with slate packers. A compromise was made to the squareness of the room to try and keep the Ashlar (I think that's the right word) or knee walls looking OK. It's no good try to get everything straight and square in these houses because it will always look wrong.

I had asked for extra care with the steel on to the party wall, and got it, so no problems there.
The steel beams where specified by a structural engineer- 230 x 90 x 32kg/m PFC one off clear span 4.9m and the other 3.8m The loading on it will be the floor and the roof via a structural stud wall, the top purlin will be coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment