Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Loft conversion Fire Separation Wall - Stage One




This was a hot and sweaty job but satisfying because the progress is rapid and visable. Carrying the blocks up from the garden is a job I've been spreading out. Taking a couple up everytime I'm passing that way, not carrying anything else, and if I remember. Iv'e shifted about 100 so far so only anther 50 to go. It was a hot weekend when I built this first bit to the offshot and it gets hot up there however the sweat dripping into the mortar kept it workable. Carrying the full buckets of mortar up is bit arm streaching but using the large blocks 450 x 230 x 75mm means I didn't have too many to lug up.

Nothing special about the wall. However I did put cardboard down on the neigbours side, as promised, to break the fall of any blocks I might have dropped and to catch mortar droppings. I'll remove these from the neighbours side when required.

The blocks are lightweight (not so light when soaking wet) aerated concrete, they are easily cut with a saw. I used a bow saw, the blade is no good for wood now but is still cutting the blocks.

Between the blocks and slates I've packed rockwool flexi slab, this I believe is up to spec.


No comments:

Post a Comment