Monday, June 4, 2007

Loft Conversion -Some History and why we are doing it

We bought the house, an 1880's semi twelve years ago and came up with a 15 year plan for everything we wanted to do. The loft conversion was has always featured but was always going to be way down the list. The house started as 3 bedroom but with our 3rd child on the way I split one room up and but the bathroom in half of it. When child number 4 came along the two eldest girls had to share. So now we have two teenage daughters sharing. Workable but not ideal. They are good most of the time but WW3 breaks out when something goes missing or gets borrowed, or the responsibility for the festering pile of clothes/shoes is in dispute.
The original plan was for me to use the attic room as an office/studio/guest room therefore freeing up the downstairs study to be used as second living room. I did fantasize about being able to set a stereo up in a proper listening room but I've given up hope of that when the plan didn't get royal assent. I've recently set up a decent system in the garage, but that's another story.
So the mine and the mouses plan is to let the eldest have the attic room until they leave the nest. Fingers crossed the eldest will fly to university in a couple years and the youngest in about 12.
Yes I know, we wont need the extra room in a couple of years so whats the point?
  • I said I would/could do it, so I will.
  • The appeal of an attic room is too much for me resist. Resistance is not an option against the combined forces of a wife and four children.
  • We need a new roof anyway so why not put the velux in at the same time and "it'll not take two minutes" to do the rest.
  • When we married nearly two years ago we asked for contributions to our spiral stair fund as wedding presents.
So this project had passed the point of no return a while back.

No comments:

Post a Comment