Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Welding Loft Joist Hangers to the beams

This is a loft conversion question that seems to asked alot. How to hang the joists off Steels, (rsj's). Well this way is probably unique.
The normal way is to fix timber to beams first. But I've got a welder!
Joist hangers Welded on beam


This was a job I wanted to make sure the building inspector wasn't going to grumble about. I had spec these to welded on the draws that were passed but I'd changed the design from the original being on a standard UB.


So make them twice as strong. I first welded two hangers together, plug welding through all the nail holes. Then drilled 3 12mm holes in each leg. Then the tricky task of getting the levels right, the lazer level came in handy with a slight adjustment for the slope of the not so acurate Victorian ceiling heights. I had to get the new floor joist as close to the old ceiling as I could allowing about 5mm minimum for deflection. With that sorted the it went well after intially trying stick welding for the extra power and giving up because the power blew away the hangers. The MIG did the job nicely, plug welding through the big holes with good penertration into the beam .


So Hangers On time for some more timber.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help me as I am trying a similar feat to yourself. I would love to know what side of your beam your attached your hangers as I can't quite work it out from the picture. I will be using traditional I beams and I'm guessing I'll be needing to hang mine from the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nkerridge,
    The way I did my hangers is a lot different from the norm. Mines a Universal Beam "UB" ("C" section) and I wanted the hangers to hang below it. Being a bit more flexible than a normal builder I came up with my own solution - welding hangers directly on the face. I got it assesed and passed by the BCO first.

    The standard way is to fix (drill and bolt or spit nail) a timber snuggly to the web (upright bit of the "I").

    The joist hangers are then nailed or screwed on to the timber so they are flush with the bottom of the beam

    Hope that helps
    Andy

    ReplyDelete