Monday, September 29, 2008

Loft Landing Area - the forgotten zone

The Loft Landing area is going to be last bit to finish. It will be a really interesting space when its done. The space under the purlin is a large cupboard area. The doors I've fitted are recycled from Wendy's mums old kitchen. After about five years down our cellar (I knew they would come in handy for something) they needed some drying out and some tightening up.

The pile of wood in the picture is acclimatising, it has been for months now and will be for a few months more. It will eventually make book shelves that form the rest of the cupboard front and round on to the party wall. We'll then be able to pretentiously call the landing area, our library.

It looks like the new windows are going to come first, but when in gets cold in the garage I might make a start.

4 comments:

  1. Hello great job.Can you advise me planning (building regs).
    I had a Architectural building design bloke look at a 2 bed one bathroom loft conversion and he said he will charge £1300 to do some plans as the roof calculations will take some time.Apparently on 1 st oct the planning laws changed and far lees things need planning.He said I will have to pay about £500 for council building regs inspection.Too much ? any advice.thanks marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcus,
    I was quoted £900+vat for the plans, structural calcs and building control liason for one room but he was insiting I needed a dorma. £1300 doesn't sound bad for the work involved but if you but in the time doing the research you could to all but the structural calcs yourself, as I ended up doing.
    If you now what you want and know what need, you might find someone to just draw up the plans for a few hundred pounds
    I ended up paying -
    Structural engineers calcs - £264
    Building control submission - £130
    Building control inspection - £283
    I think the relaxation of the laws is just about planning consent, Velux tpye conversions usually only ever needed building regs approval.
    Hope this helps
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your reply andy
    I have another question
    I am not capable of doing the work other than labouring.
    If I got two carpenters to build straight staircase and two 4m x 4m bedrooms and 2m x 2m bathroom have you a best guess at how long it would take ??
    This would help me cost it with your materials costing.Thanks again marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcus, I really couldn't tell you how long, as no two jobs are alike. I would of thought a couple of joiners would be able to get the stairs, structural work and studs in within a couple of weeks. Assuming they have good plans to work too, no snags and all the preparatory work is done. You would need to coordinate all the other trades and it probably wouldn't be easy. In your situation I'd talk to a builder or one of the loft companies about taking on the full build or to a certain point where you could take over.
    Ansy

    ReplyDelete