Friday, August 15, 2008

Plaster Boarding the Loft Conversion

I've not been abducted, I am still trying to finish this attic off, I have been doing bits - but slowly and I've not been keeping this blog up to date. In my defence I've started other projects and keeping busy.

So to plaster board. A pallet full delivered of the tail lift by Travis Perkins, in the road and rail, so I had to carry it all in and its heavy. Should be a two man job with the 8' x 4' sheets but I managed without it getting too wet and with little traffic disruption. I did enlist help getting it all up stairs to loft.


Fitting it is fun puzzle as I calculated quite precisely what I needed to have minimum joints. It eventually came together with very little scrap. Its fixed with plaster board screws 70mm on the loft ceiling to go through the insulation to the rafters.



TIP. Don't hold the screw with bare fingers whilst drill driving. Your thumb and forefinger will be full of tiny metal splitters.





Plaster board to the Loft conversion velux windows

Looking more like a room and getting neater all the time



Lots of screws - at about 300mm centres to hopefully avoid any cracks aphearing in the finished plaster . This pic shows the wiring in an labeled

3 comments:

  1. Comming together well by the looks of it. I can smypothise with the ammount of time, trying to fit my own loft conversion in around work and running out of money, learning from mistakes as we go along!

    Have you plastered beneath a spiral staircase yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malc,
    Thank for your comment.
    No I've not finished the plastering yet. I've been refurbishing another house, a 3 month job thats turned in to 6.
    I got the walls at side of stairs to skim then the lathe and plaster ceiling on the landing to rip down and re-board.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey This is really a good job that you are doing there. I think it is coming together well. As Malc said, cost is something that we should keep in mind. So all the best for your future endeavors. God bless!

    ReplyDelete